Belem, derived from the Portuguese word for Bethlehem, is located at the mouth of the River Talgus, 3.7 miles west of Lisbon. This area first attracted mariners and commercial activities. Archaeological evidence suggests human occupation since the Paleolithic era (2.6 million years ago).Jeronimos Monastery, founded around 1459. It also includes the Church of Santa Maria.Entrance to main Church and cloister Above and below is Padrao dos Descobrimentos, monument of the Discoveries, on the northern bank of the Tagus River, celebrating the Portuguese Age of Exploration during the 15th and 16th centuries. Belem Lighthouse Above is Belem Tower, UNESCO World Heritage Site, built in 16th century, as a military fortification on the Tagus River. One of our visits was with Christy!! Our second visit was with our good friend from the Azores, Elisa!! And of course, the specialty of Lisbon, one of the bakeries for Pastel de nata (egg tart pastry), which is one of Steve’s favorite num-nums yet!