Walking from Notre Dame Cathedral on the Ile de la Cite’ (City Island) in the Seine, we walked the Left Bank seeing numerous shops and restaurants, famous buildings, churches and booksellers, the Latin Quarter and numerous bridges over the Seine.
Pont au Change (bridge over the Seine)
Sainte Chapelle, (exterior above), built in the 13th century by King Louis IX, (the only French King now also a saint) is Gothic church architecture, a cathedral of glass, made to house the supposed Crown of Thorns (today kept in Notre Dame’s Treasury room for security). The pictures below show the crisscross arches and columns created to hold the 15 panels of stained glass covering 6500 square feet (two thirds of it still being 13th century original).
The 15 stained glass panels show over 1100 different scenes mostly from the Bible, from Genesis to the end of the world (Apocalypse). Behind this altar is the Passion of Christ.
Steve looking up to show some perspective on the size of these stained glass panels!
The chapel’s rose window represents Judgement Day and the Apocalypse.
Some of the frames and sculptures (above) in Sainte Chapelle.
The Lower Chapel is directly below the stained glass chapel pictures seen above. Definitely not as tall or showing such grand panels of stained glass, but beautiful in its own elegance and structure.
Gate to Palais de Justice, a working courthouse in Paris, near the Concierge. Below are 2 pictures of ceiling arches.
Impressive stairwell in courthouse
Beautiful clock on government building
Above and below are 2 views of the Concierge, the famous prison for 2780 victims of the guillotine, including King Louis XIV, his wife, Marie Antoinette and Maximilian de Robespierre, the head of the French Revolution.
After our walk, we stopped for a delicious dinner and headed back to our hotel.