The Castle of St. Jorge was built in the 11th century, in the Moorish period, at the top of a hill. It was used to house troops, had 11 towers, and in case of siege, it housed the elite. In the 13th century, it was transformed into the royal palace. The earthquake of 1755 caused significant damage.
Archway outside the Castle with artists and musicians.
Inner courtyard of castle with water wells (cisterns).
Archeological ruins showing evidence of settlements from 7th-11th centuries.
View from the castle overlooking the River Tagus in Lisbon
Steve and his brother, Mike, from the top of the castle wall, overlooking Lisbon and below near the interior walls.